Tuesday 15 September 2015

Interview: Hrothgarr #8

Today we bring you an interview with Hrothgarr, whose name doesn't need more introduction. Enjoy. 

Firewire: At what place would we have met if you would still play WoW?

Hrothgarr: The gazebo area by the Cathedral of the Holy Light.

Firewire:
Why do you think that so many people want to read an interview with you?

Hrothgarr:
I can only speculate that they seek some form of entertainment and that the sensationalist and controversial acts of the past that I did makes them think reading an interview about me would be entertaining.
Also that a lot of disinformation was put out there, half-truths about me that were spread and people believed. Some players might even be genuinely curious to find things out, since you know, half a truth is a whole lie.

Firewire:
Would you tell us why you quit WoW?

Hrothgarr:
Partly because of having less time to actually create mass RP events, maintain groups and sustain plotlines. Getting into the pyramid (the current world job system) greatly reduced my free time. And partly because I was using the spare time that I had left to search and research various texts and writings. It was a period in which I was thirsty for knowledge.

Firewire: So from the perspective of not knowing any events from Hrothgarr at all, I would be very interested to know what it was you were doing back when you were active. Candy told me you were some kind of Varys.

Hrothgarr: Well before the whole controversy I used to create military events, take part in tournaments, run a council and basically help people on their quests and events.
The decline started with the "Hrothgate" scandal where I gave some gold to another player and told him to join a guild, spy on it and later disrupt it from within. The guild was a rebellion guild and I was in the Royal Court back then. The player I tasked with this operation then leaked screenshots of our chats, in which I behaved in a delusional manner. I even tried to defend myself on an alt when that leak was made public, being quite desperate at seeing the scope of the reaction.
After the uproar of that event I basically tried using the controversy to have fun since a lot of people thought they knew me only by those screenshots and straightaway labeled me as scum and judged me as toxic. Rather than try to convince them otherwise I somewhat acted out their villain fantasy. So I used that controversy to grab attention here and there, create political RP and to mirror what is going on in reality with the secret societies and all.
Looking back, of course I realize that I thrashed whatever reputation I had left and made it impossible for a lot of players to accept me, but I also made it impossible for them to accept politics and political leaders, which I think is a good for awakening. The AD generation might not be so easily swayed by a political speech and a public event anymore, due to all the drama they experienced from me and not only.
As a note, even though Hrothgarr enjoyed obtaining personal power, his end goal was to genuinely help people become independent and free from any bond, power in itself didn't mean anything to him if he couldn't actually leave behind something good for the "community". He employed devious tactics against what he saw as devious people, aka demon cults, criminal groups etc., and cared for simple folk.

Firewire: Was your reputation loss also a reason why you left the scene?

Hrothgarr: The rep loss is a small part of the qutting too, most of the reason was the constraint on time. But yeah it's not very fun when you have a few hours to play each day and don't have players with which to build RP plotlines and make things happen because you're being avoided.

Firewire: What is your most favorite story you played out (created by yourself or by others).

Hrothgarr: That has to be the Outlawed Wizard one. I also played a mage called Lhanor Lancaster Leyhand, which was a cult hunter. After a lord Black arrived at the Royal Court pleading with the guild about a murderous cult in Raven Hill, the wizard went on to investigate and found another lord, Harlkir Slock, there, performing dark rituals.
After gathering a few guilds and storming the place, the Raven Hill cult was broken and the lord fled, later his uncle Musse appealed to the Court to execute Leyhand for attacking a lord, since Leyhand was a commoner. There's a lot to say about this plot that lasted about a month and I don't want to bore the readers with a wall of text containing every detail so I'll mention the important parts.
After Leyhand returned to Stormwind, the Court Magistrate Sebastean de Wynther, being controlled by the Slock lord, issued an unlawful exile and banned the wizard from the city.
For essentially dismantling a demon cult Leyhand was led out of the capital being spat on and insulted by the crowd gathered by the Slocks. That's how he became the "Outlawed Wizard". Past the city gates he felt like collapsing but then he found faith in the Light which sustained him, began traveling to the neighbouring provinces, stirring people up against the corrupt nobles all the while keeping contact with a Court servant named Ahsoka who infiltrated Slock's cult.
The story ends with Harlkir Slock being assassinated by the infitltrator and Leyhand's exile being revoked. A lot of feeling in that story and quite some people involved, also it is noteworthy to say that the person who played Harlkir Slock was the same Estsold who leaked the screenshots and started the controversy.

Firewire: Sidequestion: How many years have you been playing WoW? Did you RP from the start? How did you get into RPing anyway?

Hrothgarr: WoW all started on the first realm I played on, Scarshield Legion. I started playing a month or so before TBC came out. Was quite a noob back then, but I always liked the idea of RP, from childhood I used to play Star Wars with my friends outside, having Jedi and Sith factions and battling it out with sticks. It still baffles me why people think Sith are cool and why they like being the bad boy. (Maybe because it's being presented this way by the entertainment). Jedi teaches you a lot of useful stuff like self-control and discipline.

Firewire: PvE players talk about older expansions and the golden times of WoW. Is there something similar for RP too? Were the old RP days better?

Hrothgarr:
It was simpler ... back on SSL. Goldshire was actually a peaceful and uncorrupted place. I think the golden times of RP on AD were before the Hrothgate scandal that basically changed the landscape and I don't mean it in an arrogant way, just that after people saw it many also started plotting and scheming even moreso than before and the whole idea of RP got way mixed in OOC agendas. The golden days for me were when I was an early member of the Royal Court and saw how Amonothen and Didonus went about creating events, writing stuff on AA, they had a very professional way and did quality work. People on the realm were more peaceful back then, there were neat events going on every month and less tension, so that is the golden age for me.

Firewire:
People that don't play WoW or video games talk about the terms Real Life and Game. How do you think about that? Would you say playing WoW had something to do with your real life or not at all?

Hrothgarr: I think it's in a way silly to divide the two saying "Game and Real Life". The game exists in real life and real people play the game. But thanks for the question because playing the game really did have an effect on me as a person. Without all that's happened to me through it I wouldn't be who I am today.
It changed me in some ways, the scandal put a lot of pressure on me, the public outrage felt like an online lynching and it taught me self-control and patience, made me realize that I was being delusional and gave me an opportunity to correct myself.
Also something very real about the online game experience is that you get to interact with people and know how people react to certain things. I always had this in mind when I interacted with people in the outside world and it helped me avoid mistakes and discern what people feel in certain situations.
Online gaming is in fact an experience simulation generator and can be used to prepare you, to realize what you're doing wrong and to have a correct approach to real situations, the key condition to all this is discernment.
What's MOST important however: You cannot win through infamy and deception. This is the most important lesson I gained.

Firewire: Is gaming something that needs to get overcome then? (if it prepares)

Hrothgarr: That's a difficult question, if gaming controls you then yes it needs to be overcome. The experience simulator (gaming) is a tool, just like the internet. It is not inherently evil or good, it depends how you use it. Anyone can put out information on the internet. TV on the other hand is a filter, all information is filtered. You cannot use the tool, it can only be used ON you. (These questions are good because they make people think).

Firewire: Is there any chance you come back for a short period of time even? Or are you done with WoW RP for good?

Hrothgarr: I don't rule out the possibility for a short come back if there's a really good idea and people to play with. Even so, the time I have is not much and I use it to spread info, research, spend time with my family and getting to know God.

Firewire: Three short questions: Your favorite place to be in WoW, your favorite tavern and your favorite NPC?

Hrothgarr: Stormwind City, Pig and Whistle, King Varian Wrynn.

Firewire: Is there someone you would like me to interview and is there a question you would like to see answered by that person?

Hrothgarr:
Wow, this is really hard. I'd enjoy reading an interview with Amonothen very much, he was the guy who inspired me with all the political side of RP, but I don't think he plays anymore. I guess an interview with Luciase Cromwell/Cecil Hollingberry would be interesting to see as well if you can get him. The question for Amonothen would be "Where did you find inspiration to write the material you did back in the day?"

Firewire:
Anything else you want to add or share? Any shout outs?

Hrothgarr:
Sure, some people will be frustrated about the end but I have to include this here and I'm very grateful you're taking the time to do these interviews, therefore the first shout out goes to you, Firewire and a shout out to Will, who made it possible for me to know about this interview initiative.
Then to the brave folk who requested an interview with me: Shout out to Rothand, Damangus, Dermin, Boush.
To the people who didn't shun me or judge straightaway (and I'm sorry for forgetting to mention many of you, I'm getting old!) my love to Traional, Flinkz, Jasmine (still love you), Rhalic, Thames, Bulkbelly, Markiela, Eva, Adorthen, Candy (fifty shades), Archable (who was with me unto the end, love you, brother), Arshes, Bhad, Susan, Sam, Stormbinder, Balran, Mercy, Dhovan, Jaina, Lucretia, Cat (best secretary a guild could ask for), Exaviel (passion for RP is unequalled), many others forgive me for not remembering straightaway.
To the ones who bring color to a gray realm and put smiles on many's faces: Shout out to the DORO community! (gr8 vIdOs bY GrOwtHdoro cHeck hIs chnnEL on yOuTube) and for their continued dedication to protect Elwyn Forst (H's last act of President is to proclaim them decorated heroes of the realm, for life).
Shout out to Perroy for playing a cunning game, and all his Rotgarde pride world wide.
To all past members of the Citizen Congress, we fought a hard battle comrades, against the odds, it was an honor to be around you.
And lastly to all those who did not miss an opportunity to scorn, scold or attack me, I sincerely am sorry for making you upset. Michelli, Carees, Dornez, Antharos, Aerillian, Valdreth, Kardok, the ADFB community, the secret but very real forum clique downvoters, Saelora, Brigante, Fenral, Vaxir, Malbourne, Maarod, Fuse, Pendji, Alexandros, Bromhead, Luxifer and many others who didn't have the courage to openly declare their thoughts.
And in the end, from the begining, for He who saved us from our sins, praise the Lord our Saviour Jesus Christ!

Firewire:
Thank you so much for your time and sharing your thoughts with me. It was really fun talking with you. I wish you all the best for your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment